COURSE TITLE: ADVANCED ART STUDIO (and ACCELERATION)
PROGRAM OF STUDIES & DESCRIPTION:
- PRERQUISITE: Permission of the instructor and completion of the following studios (highly recommended): Basic Design & Drawing, Painting and Sculpture.
- REQUIRED TEXT: None
- SUPPLIMENTAL TEXTS, READINGS, ETC.
- Video biographies of famous artists
- Selected readings from at history
- Research of subject matter via the internet
1. Complete at least 3 high quality art projects during each 9 week period:
(1) Must be a piece submitted for The Wedge per Qt.
(2) Subject matter and media of your choice
A. Painting, drawing, & sculpture projects: Approximately (3) weeks per project: The quality of your project should reflect approximately (3) weeks worth of work.
B. Quality & Effort:
1. Creativity: be original
2. Complexity: simple and easy is not the best art solution
3. Composition: arrangement of visual elements on a 2-D surface
4. Craftsmanship: technical skill, neatness, proper use of materials
5. Depth: your work should have a foreground, middle-ground, & background
6. Value: range from light to dark
7. Detail: the little things make a big difference
C. Photography: You should have numerous photos of your subject that shows experimentation resulting in a final photo or series (3 or more of the same subject).
2. Students must maintain a Digital Portfolio (created using Google Drive) for submission to the art instructor at the end of each quarter.
3. Students are to provide some materials as needed.
COURSE OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTATIONS: Students will be expected to:
1. Complete numerous high quality art projects.
2. Develop independent thinking.
3. Constantly strive for creative and unique solutions to studio projects.
4. Display a high degree of craftsmanship and knowledge of the process of art making.
5. Complete research on artists and artistic styles relevant to the student’s work.
6. Participate in classroom critiques.
7. Display knowledge of subject matter in the form of written exams.
8. Be a responsible consumer of art materials at all times.
EVALUATION OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE:
- Daily Grades (Art projects and related assignments including daily effort and responsibilities) and completion of Digital Portfolio.------------100%
Examples of daily responsibilities:
- Working on projects diligently
- Being prepared for class: No.2 pencil, portfolio, etc.
- Clean up of work area and proper storage of art materials
PROJECT GRADING: (see Project Evaluation sheet)