COURSE TITLE: FUNDAMENTALS OF ART & DESIGN
PROGRAM OF STUDIES & DESCRIPTION: Students will be introduced the cultural and historical aspects of drawing as well as learn the basic skills and techniques of drawing and gain experience using various materials, subject matter, and artistic styles.
PRERQUISITE: None (introduction course)
REQUIRED TEXT: None
SUPPLIMENTAL TEXTS, READINGS, ETC.
- Art history and artist research as needed.
- Students must maintain an Art Portfolio for the organization of art assignments.
- Students must maintain a Digital Portfolio (created using Google Drive) for submission to the art instructor at the end of each quarter (if applicable).
- Students are to provide some materials as needed.
COURSE OBJECTIVES AND EXPECTATIONS: Students will be expected to:
- Be organized:
A. Maintain an art portfolio (works in progress)
B. Photograph completed artworks and update digital portfolio.
2. Be responsible:
A. Complete ALL projects and turn them in (finished box) for grading.
B. Use class time to make art.
3. Develop independent thinking.
4. Constantly strive for creative and unique solutions to studio projects.
5. Display a high degree of craftsmanship and knowledge of the process of art
6. Complete research on artists and artistic styles relevant to the student’s work.
7. Participate in classroom critiques.
8. Display knowledge of subject matter in the form of written exams.
9. Be a responsible consumer of art materials at all times.
EVALUATION OF STUDENT PERFORMANCE:
- Daily Grades (Art projects and related assignments including daily effort and responsibilities), 9 Weeks Exams, Writing Assignments ------------90%
2. Mid-term and Final Exam -----------------------------------------------------10%
Examples of daily responsibilities:
- Working on projects diligently
- Clean up of work area and proper storage of art materials
PROJECT GRADING: (see Project Evaluation sheet)