What is a Writer's Notebook?
This is a Compisition Notebook you turn into a place where you capture:
Kinds of Writing in the Writer's Notebook
||Writing Ideas From Sources
||Odd or Unexpected Things People Say
||Favorite or Unusual Words
||Aphorisms-short, inspirational or funny sayings
How Do I Get Started?
1. Get a composition book
2. Gather pictures, stickers, clippings, copies, markers, glue, etc. Most importantly, find WORDS for your WN. Your WN is a place for you to capture YOUR words. Find MANY words representing who you are, what you value, what you like, what you dream, etc.
3. Arrange the words & stuff on the front & back cover of your book & glue them down.
4. Be sure to put your name somewhere on the outside front cover and inside cover too.
5. Using wide transparent tape or contact paper, cover your design to protect it.
6. Get a grade for your cover design.
7. Keep it Rated G please or your design will be censored.
What Handouts Do I Need?
Writer's Notebook Requirements (glue to the inside front cover of your composition book)
Writer's Notebook Writing Ideas (glue to the inside back cover of your composition book)
Writer's Notebook Covers Grade Sheet (turn in when you turn in your WN cover design for a grade)
Writing Habits WN Entry (use this to guide your first entry in the WN)
How Will The Cover Design Be Graded?
Correct Form of Composition book = 4 pts.
Name inside & out= 4 pts.
40 Words or more= 4 pts.
Covered with plastic=4 pts.
Classiness, Cleverness, Craftiness=4 pts.
20 points total
(See Writer's Notebook Covers Grade Sheet for more details.)
How Will The Entries Be Graded?
Plan to write 3 entries per week on M, W, F unless told otherwise.
Your WN will be collected once every 3-4 weeks.
Each entry is worth 5 points. (See the powerpoint above for more details.)