5 Write and interpret numerical expressions.
- 5.OA.1 Use parentheses, brackets, or braces in numerical expressions, and evaluate expressions with these symbols.
- 5.OA.2 Write simple expressions that record calculations with numbers, and interpret numerical expressions without evaluating them.
5 Understand the place value system.
- 5.NBT.1 Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
- 5.NBT.2 Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole-number exponents to denote powers of 10.
5.NBT.3 Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths.
- 5.NBT.3.a Read and write decimals to thousandths using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form, e.g., 347.392 = 3 × 100 + 4 × 10 + 7 × 1 + 3 × (1/10) + 9 × (1/100) + 2 × (1/1000).
- 5.NBT.3.b Compare two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < >
- 5.NBT.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.