JUNIOR HIGH BANDS
Sixth Grade Band:
Students will be able to:
1. Play at least six major scales.
2. Play a one octave chromatic scale with correct chromatic fingerings.
3. Learn basic playing techniques through the exercises in Method Book. Demonstrate an understanding of basic music fundamentals.
4. Participate successfully in at least two concerts with the band.
5. Demonstrate the proper care of instruments.
Method Book: Accent on Achievement, Book 1: $8.50, Percussion books are $11.60
1. Finalize instrument selections.
2. Rent instruments or bring $25 instrument deposit for school instruments. Checks should be made to Bowling Green Junior High.
3. Buy books. Books may be obtained at the school or at the music store. Bring the correct change or checks made out to Royal Music. Everyone needs a book by Wednesday, August 11th.
Sixth grade band will be a very exciting class to be in this year. We will teach you everything you need to know to be a successful musician. We will spend the first couple of weeks obtaining instruments, learning to care for the instruments, and learning to get a sound. . Everyone else who will be renting an instrument should try to rent it by Wednesday, August 11th. School instruments will be given out as soon as the instrument deposit is received during the week of August 9th-13th. Everyone needs to obtain the book “Accent on Achievement, Book 1”. Students may bring the money for the book to school where we have an assortment of books to sell. Please bring correct change or a check made out to Royal Music.
Grades will be given for sixth grade band this year. Students will be given individual help and will be evaluated privately by Mr. Briley or Mrs. Tyrie on playing assignments that will be assigned at the beginning of each quarter. Written tests will be given to test fundamental music concepts that are introduced.
*All Band students will be issued a combination lock for their Band Locker. Students will be responsible for this lock until the end of the year. There will be a $5 replacement fee for any missing locks.